Did you know that fuller, thicker eyebrows make you look younger? Shaping, plucking and general ageing all result in eyebrows thinning out over time making filling in and brushing the brows necessary to achieve that fuller more youthful appearance.
But there is a more permanent solution available that is growing in popularity – microblading. This is a technique that is used to create a semi-permanent tattoo that produces tiny hair like lines that fill in the brows for about 12 months to 3 years.
The process, also called eyebrow embroidery, is a form of manual tattooing using a thin, scalpel-like blade to make hair like incisions in the brow area. A pigment is then applied to these cuts which seeps into the dermis, creating a stain.
The manual nature of microblading provides a much finer line than can be achieved using a tattoo gun resulting in a much more realistic, hair-like appearance. The pigment can be adjusted to match different natural eyebrow shades or even in a darker hue for those who have a lighter or blonde eyebrow shade that is barely visible.
Due to this more natural appearance, the procedure is also ideal for those who have lost their eyebrows in patches or entirely such as alopecia sufferers. In fact, it can be difficult to tell the difference.
There are however a few drawbacks to microblading that you need to be aware of:
– It is an expensive procedure costing around $900. However, considering how long the effect lasts, it is good value for money.
– In order for the procedure to be successful, a reapplication of the pigment pay be necessary within 4 weeks of the initial application.
– It is important not to get your brows wet (this includes sweating so avoid exercise, hot weather and keep cool) for at least a week to 10 days for the best results.
– Avoid using any beauty products that could fade the pigment.
– There may be some scabbing after the procedure that could be irritating. It is important not to scratch or pick at these scabs which should heal naturally after a few days.
– Use gels or ointments to help protect the brow area and promote healing.
It is absolutely essential to only have the microblading procedure performed by an expert manual tattoo specialist. This will help avoid mistakes that cannot be reversed and prevent infection or other problems that could result from unhygienic conditions or tools being used.
A microblading expert will also first draw in the lines that will form part of the tattoo to give them a template to work from as well as to help ensure that you will be happy with the end results.
However, it is important to remember that this is a semi-permanent solution so if mistakes have been made, it will only be a matter of time before the eyebrows will return to their previous appearance. Solutions can be used to speed up the fading process in the event that you are not entirely satisfied with the end result.